Traditionally shami kebabs are made using spices minced meat and chickpeas and are cooked in both India and Pakistan.Shammi kababs is a small pan fried patties that is made with minced meat, added to spices like cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, stuffed with onion and coriander, rolled into thickish patties, dipped in egg and fried in ghee (clarified butter) to create a meal that is exquisite.
Oil –5tbsp or for deep fry if you want
Boneless chicken – 1/2 kg
Onion – 3(2roughlychoppedand1finelychopped)
Garlic cloves, Ginger -8/15grams or you can use 1tbsp paste of both
Tomato – 1 medium size
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon Green chilies – 3 finely chopped Coriander and Mint leaves-Few
Cashew nuts -12
Split bengal gram – 100 gram soaked in water for 30 minutes
Egg – 1
Desiccated Coconut powder – 2 tbsp
1. In a pan heat 1Tbsp oil add roughly chopped onion and shallow fry, then add Garlic ,Ginger, tomato, garam masala, boneless chicken, salt as required turmeric powder, red chili powder, green chilies chopped, coriander and mint leaves, cashew nuts mix well and sauté for a minute. Then add soaked bengal gram, sauté them well .Now add a cup of water and cook them well till tender, then let it cool and grind them to a fine paste.
2. To this shami masala add finely chopped onion,chopped green chilies, egg, coconut powder chopped nuts(pistachios,almond,cashew 1tsp each this is optional) few chopped mint and coriander leaves butter check the salt salt add if required.
3. Mix it well and make round shape with 1mm thickness.
4. You can either shallow fry or deep fry these kababs .
5. Enjoy these kababs as a snack or as a side dish
- Adding finely chopped nuts enhance the taste of kebabs.
- Do not flip the kebabs immediately after adding to oil.