Andhra style fish curry is well blended with tamarind juice and other spices. Fish in tamarind sauce is quiet a spicy and tangy fish curry and one of the best fish recipes. It is also called as Meen Kozhambu in the Tamil Nadu and Kerala states of India especially the coastal regions.
Onions-2 medium size chopped
Tomatoes-2 Big finely chopped
Green chillies-3 slit
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Cumin powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Fish Masala(Store bought)-1 tsp
Garam Masal-1 tsp
Coriander Leaves-few finely chopped
Tamarind Juice- 1 Tbsp
- Wash fish thoroughly and strain the excess water completely.
- Apply salt,turmeric powder,lemon juice and set aside.
- Soak tamarind and extract the juice.
- Heat oil in wide pan and shallow fry the fish pieces.Frying the fish fish make it solid and doesn’t break when you add to the gravy.Fry all pieces and set aside.
- To the same oil add cumin and mustard seeds, splutter them.
- Add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute, add finely chopped tomatoes and slit green chillies and salt.(Make a note that we already added salt to the fish pieces, so add accordingly).Cover and cook until tomatoes gets soft and mushy.
- Open the lid and press with the back of spatula to get all tomatoes well blended,add red-chilli powder,cumin powder,coriander powder add little water to avoid masala getting burnt.Fry till the oil separates .
- Now, slowly add fried fish pieces and fish masala and tamarind juice do not mix add water as per your consistency.Cover and cook till the fish is done.
- Open the lid slowly stir and add garam masala cook for a minute and garnish with coriander leaves.Fish curry is ready..Enjoy!!!
- Goes well with plain rice or chapati.
- This curry turns more tasty if you eat a day after cooking.
Soon Going to share recipe of my Mom’s Fish curry….stay connected…