Arvi Gosht made with Arvi (colacasia), mutton and flavored with aromatic spices which imparts delectable flavors to this fantastic Taro meat stew. Arvi gosht is a very popular dish among the Pakistani people. This is basically a tangy stew that you can eat with rice or any Indian flat bread like naan, roti and chapatti.
This dish is very aromatic, delicious and spicy too. Arvi gosht is easy to cook and the taros look very similar to potatoes both in texture and taste and goes very well with meat dishes. The dish has a slightly thin consistency and gives an amazing sourness from the tomatoes and slight heat from the red chili powder and green peppers and the subtle sweetness from onions along with aroma of ginger and garlic paste along with the flavors of other spices.
Arvi/Colacasia/Taro Root-250 grams
Green Chillies-2 slit
Ginger Garlic paste-1 Tbsp
Red Chilli powder-1tsp
Coriander leaves-few for garnishing
Onion-1 small fried
- Wash mutton and drain water completely.Set aside.
- Peel and Wash colacasia/Taro Root and make a slit and let them rest in salt water for 1/2 hour.
- Take a grinder add onion,tomato,ginger and make a fine paste and set aside.
- Grind curd and fried onion and set aside.
- Take a pan heat oil and add washed mutton and fry till colour changes.
- Add ginger garlic paste fry till raw smell goes away.
- Add salt,turmeric,red chilli powder,coriander powder mix well and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add onion,tomato,ginger grounded paste mix and cover the lid ,cook until the mutton is 80% done.
- Open the lid and add curd and fried onion grounded mixture,mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now add colacasia/Taro root/Arvi ,mix well and cook till mutton and arvi both done.
- Add garam masala,slit green chillies simmer for 1 minute.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and ginger julienne ….Enjoy!!!
- Goes well with Bagar rice or Roti/Naan.
- To Keep your hands away from itching while peeling taro or yam, apply a little cooking oil to them.Salt and vinegar will also work.