Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern dish, Falafel is a delicious patty made from ground chickpeas or fava beans and is usually served in a pita which acts as a pocket or wrapped in a flatbread known as lafa. The falafel balls are topped with salads, pickled vegetables, hot sauce and drizzled with tahini based sauces.
Kabuli chana/Chick peas-200 gms
Onion-1 big or 2 mdeium
Oil-for deep frying
Coriander leaves-1 medium bunch cleaned washed and chopped
Cumin Powder-1 tsp
Baking soda-1/2 tsp
Bread slices-2 remove the sides
All purpose flour-3 Tbsp
Preparations & METHOD:
- Wash chickpeas and soak overnight or 5 to 6 hours.Chop the onions(small) and green chillies.
- Drain the water completely from chickpeas.
- Grind chickpeas,Onions,green chillies,garlic,cumin powder,pepper powder and salt in to a coarse paste.Do not add water.
- Take out in a bowl and then add crushed bread slices.You can also bread crumbs if the paste is still watery.
- Grease your palms and make the shape you want..generally it is made into round balls.Here, I made it into patties to cook evenly.Roll them in a flour.
- Heat the oil in a pan slowly drop into hot oil and fry on medium flame till golden brown…Now Enjoy!!!!
- Makes 10-15.
- Serve with Tahini sauce as a snack or wrap in roti with onions,cucumbers.