Bagara Baingan The hit curry of the party with Biryani, eggplant curry baingan ka Salan in hyderabadi terms or Vankaya masala Bagara baingan (Eggplant masala curry) is a traditional Hyderabadi dish served with most of biryanis. This is also popularly prepared in the Andhra region and called as Gutti Vankaya kura. The speciality of the dish is the flavor that depends on the blend on tamarind and freshly ground masalas.
Baingan/Egg plant-1/2 kg
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste-1 Tbsp
Green Chillies-2 slit
Red chilli powder-2 tsp
Cumin powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Ingredients for Gravy :
Onions-2 medium size
Sesame Seeds-1 Tbsp
Coconut Powder-1 Tbsp
- Wash brinjal and tap dry with kitchen towel.Make a slit vertically and let them sit in salt water.
- Soak tamarind in half cup of water and extract the juice and set aside.
- Chop the onions in to cubes.
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned in the gravy.Cool them completely and make a fine paste with required water.
- Add 4Tbsp oil in pan and shallow fry the washed and sliced brinjals until they changes colour. Set aside.
- Add remaining oil and add cumin seeds splutter them and add 1 onion thinly sliced fry until translucent add ginger-garlic paste fry for a minute.
- Now add the grounded paste and fry until oil separates and visible on sides of pan.
- Add red chilli-powder,cumin powder,coriander powder fry for 2 minutes.
- Add fried brinjals,slit green chillies ,slat and tamarind juice .Cook till the brinjal is soft and done.
- Adjust water as per your consistency.Check the salt and add 1tsp sugar this is optional but adding sugar give extra tanginess to the curry.Enjoy…!!!
- Serves 4-5
- Goes well with Roti/Biryani/Bagara Pulao.
- The same way u can cook with Tomatoes/Big Chillies.