Bisi Bele Bhath is South Indian dish which is served as tiffin or as a lunch.Deliciously cooked with lentils,rice and mixed vegetables.Generally served with sambar or raita.
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Dry Red chillies-2
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Onions-1 medium roughly chopped
Curry leaves-1 Strand
Brinjal -2 small
Tuvar daal or Pigeon peas or Yellow lentil-1/2 cup
Water- as required
Tomatoes (optional)-1 small finely chopped
Tamarind juice-1/4 cup
Coriander leaves-few for garnishing.
Ingredients for Bisi bele bhath powder:
Dry red chillies-5
Fenugreek seeds-1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds-1 Tbsp
Chana daal or split green gram-1 Tbsp
Urad daal or Split black gram -1 Tbsp
Coconut powder or pieces-1/4 cup
- Dry roast the ingredients listed in Bisi Bele Bhath powder category grind them into coarse powder.
- Wash and roughly chop all the vegetables.
- Wash pigeon peas and rice separately and soak them separately for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,curry leaves,red chillies and crackle them, add asafoetida.
- Add all chopped vegetables and fry for them for 1 minutes and add soaked daal and rice mix well and add approximately 6 cups for water add salt and close the lid,pressure cook upto 3 whistles.
- Depressurise the cooker and open the lid add 4 Tbsp bisi bele bhath powder which we made above. Mix well and add tamarind juice and adjust the salt.
- Add water as per your consistency. This taste better in thin consistency.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.Enjoy!!!
- Serves 4-5.
- Goes well with onion raita or Hot mixture Boondi.
- If you find its getting thick after cooking keep ready sambar aside.
- Adding sambar to this take the taste to another level.