Khatte Baingan is a famous Kashmiri recipe. It is cooked in tangy spicy curry with ginger, tamarind, and chillies. Here I am making my own alterations to cook this awesome curry in less time. So, I named it as Khatte Baingan rather “Kashmiri Khatte Baingan”. If you are bored eating regular bagara baingan try this recipe, you will definitely love this and you will include it in your regularly cooked recipes. So, let’s start making Khatte Baingan.
Brinjals -250 grams
Oil – 4 tbsp
Onions- 1 big cut into cubes
Tomatoes- 3 medium
Green Chillies- 2
Tamarind – small gooseberry size
Garlic – 5 cloves
Ginger – 1-inch piece
Coriander leaves- 2 strands
Dry Red chillies- 3
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder -1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Cumin powder -1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Salt – a/c taste
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Wash brinjals in salt water pat dry them and cut into halves.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil and fry them till the skin becomes soft. Set aside.
- Take a blender add Tomatoes, Tamarind, Ginger, Garlic, Coriander leaves, Green chillies and make into fine paste. Set aside.
- Add and heat remaining 2 tbsp oil to the same pan in which brinjals are fried.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds splutter them and then add dry red chillies fry for a minute.
- Add onion cubes and fry for a minute, then add the above-grounded tomato paste and fry till the paste oozes oil. Stir occasionally.
- Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and sugar and fry for another minute.
- Finally, add fried brinjals and salt mix well till the spices is well coated to the brinjals.
- Simmer for 2 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot and Enjoy!!!
- Serves 4-5.
- Goes well with Bagara Rice or Jeera rice.
- You can fry the onions and grind along tomatoes. Here I separately fried the onions for extra crunchiness.