Mash Ki Dal Palak Curry
Mash Ki Dal Palak Curry is a recipe cooked in Hyderabad as a combination with Roti or Paratha. It is very healthy and nutritious cooked with Lentils and Spinach together. It is most preferred curry for ladies after pregnancy so that they gain strength in the backbone. I made my own modifications in this to enhance the taste and edible for children too. My kids are very choosy with the curries in combination with roti. They liked it very much, so I thought of sharing here too. So, let’s start making Mash Ki Dal Palak Curry.
Urad dal(Split black gram)- 1.5 cup
Palak(Spinach)- 3 big bunches finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1Tbsp
Onions- 2 medium chopped
Tomatoes- 3 medium chopped
Green chillies – 3 slit
Red chilli powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Veg curry masala – 1 tsp(I prefer Badshah kitchen king masala)
Coriander leaves- for garnishing
Salt- a/c taste
- Wash urad dal with water 2-3 times, and pressure cook with chopped spinach with 2 cups of water, turmeric, and 1 tsp salt up to 1 whistle.
- Make sure that dal is not overcooked if you are not sure cooking in the pressure cooker then cook it in open pot up to dal is 80% done. Set aside.
- Take a wok heat oil and add chopped onions cook till onions are golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste cook for 1 minute, and add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook till tomatoes get soft, mash them with the back of the spatula.
- Add Red chilli powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, veg curry masala and cook for 1 minute till oil gets separated.
- Now add cooked lentils and spinach mixture. Mix well and adjust the salt.
- Add 2 cups of water and mix well and close the lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and adjust the consistency as per your taste, finally add garam masala and coriander leaves simmer for 1 minute. Serve hot and Enjoy!!!
- Serves 5-6
- Goes well Plain paratha or Roti.
- This curry gets thick as it cools, so adjust the water consistency accordingly.
- This curry must be consumed immediately, don’t store it for the next day, as it gets thick and tastes different.