Punjabi Rajma Masala
Rajma is a very famous and common ingredient of north Indian meals. It does not have its origin in India but was brought from Mexico. It is generally consumed along with rice. Packed with proteins, soluble fiber, carbohydrates, folate, iron, manganese, zinc and more, this recipe is ideal for people who want to control cholesterol.
Even though this dish is heavy, it tastes good and is nutritious as well. In addition, it is very easy to prepare, consumes less oil and can make a meal complete. This curry can be prepared with dried or canned kidney beans. It can be consumed along with Indian flatbread, crackers or long grained rice…Let’s start making authentic Punjabi Rajma Masala.
Rajma or Kidney Beans – 1.5 Cup
Ginger Garlic Paste- 1 Tbsp
Onion- 2 medium
Tomato- 2 medium
Bay leaves- 2
Cinnamon sticks-1′ inch
Salt – a/c taste
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder- 3 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Garam Masala- 1tsp
Coriander leaves- few for garnishing
- Wash and Soak Rajma overnight. In next morning boil them with 3 cups of water and 1bay leaf, 2 black cardamoms, 1 tsp salt for 5 whistles. Set aside.
- Roughly chop onion and tomatoes and saute with 1Tbsp oil and ginger garlic paste. Cool them and grind into a fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a wok or kadhai, add Kashmiri red chilli powder and saute for 30 secs on a low flame.
- Add the above-grounded onion tomato paste and fry till the oil separates.
- Now, add coriander powder mix well and again saute for 1 minute, add boiled rajma and water according to your consistency.
- Cook for 5-6 minute mixing in a while till the rajma absorbs all masalas well.
- Finally, add garam masala mix well, check the salt and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and onion slices. Serve hot and Enjoy!!!
- Serves 4-5.
- Goes well with Roti, Plain Rice.
- You can add a pinch of baking soda while boiling rajma, this way your rajma turns very soft and fluffy.