One-Pot Easy Chicken Biryani
Biryani is the tastiest delicacy cooked and enjoyed in every Indian home. Irrespective of regions, Biryani is the royal dish cooked on every special occasion. But cooking authentic Hyderabadi dum biryani takes time and more that of expertise. Since quite a long time I wanted to share this one-pot biryani recipe. Finally, it worked out and I am very excited to share this one-pot easy chicken biryani with you.
Why am I stressing on one pot biryani? Traditionally, rice and chicken are partially cooked separately and then put together in layers to further cook them until fully done. This partial cooking step is crucial in getting the perfect biryani with fluffy rice and tender, juicy chicken. I am the kind of person who doesn’t like to spend hours together in the kitchen while cooking this kind of authentic recipes. Therefore, I love simple and easy to follow recipes. Though this is a one-pot dish the taste is just like the authentic one. Some key points you need to remember while following this recipe.
- First, you should have a good idea for how many people you are going to cook for.
- The pot/Cooker should accommodate both chicken and Rice leaving some room for pressure. Here in this recipe, I cooked 1.250 kg chicken and 1.5 kg rice in 10 liters pressure cooker. So, plan yours accordingly.
- Good quality Basmati Rice I used Dawat Basmati Rice.
- Tenderness of meat you are using. Some meat cook in no time and some takes more time to cook.
Ok, without any delay let’s get started cooking our One-pot Easy Chicken Biryani.
Chicken- with bone 1.25o kg(pieces should be big enough)
Ginger garlic Paste-10 Tbsp
Green chillies- slit 10
Mint leaves- 1 bunch(small)
Red chilli powder- 3 Tbsp
Coriander powder -2 Tbsp
Cumin Powder -1 Tbsp
Garam Masala- 1 Tbsp
Fried Onions – 4 Big size
Salt -2 Tbsp
Oil- 1/2 cup
For Cooking Rice and Assembling
Basmati Rice- 1.5 kg
Shahzeera or black cumin- 1Tbsp
Mint leaves-1/2 bunch
Coriander leaves-1/2 bunch.
Salt – a/c taste
- Wash chicken pieces and drain out the water completely.
- Slice Onion finely and deep fry them and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients one by one listed in the marination part.
- Marinate at least for 2 hours. or more is better.
- Wash and soak the rice at least 50 minutes.
- When you want to start actual cooking start boiling 4 liters of water in a big vessel with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, green chilies, bay leaves, Mint leaves, Coriander leaves, and salt. The water should be a little bit saltier, this is the trick I always use to add perfect salt to my biryani rice.
- Take a pressure cooker according to your requirement.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil, add cinnamon, cardamom, clove, and one bay leaf fry till all the spices release a nice aroma.
- Add marinated chicken and fry for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile moving to the cooking of rice, when the water starts boiling vigorously add soaked rice and salt mix well.
- Cook till only for a first boil(this is the simple trick I use while cooking this one-pot biryani).
- Take out 2cups of water and set aside and drain out the water completely from rice.
- Place the first layer of rice on the chicken in cooker. Add some fried onions lemon juice 2tsp ghee and place another last layer.
- On top decorate with fried onions, chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- Finally, pour the 2cups of water which we stored while draining the rice.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 8 minutes on high flame without placing the cooker whistle.
- Now, we don’t cook on direct flame, place the cooker on old Tava and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Now, lower the flame of Tava and cook for another 40 minutes. In total, we are cooking for 1 hour.
- Turn off the flame and let it be there on hot tava for another 15 minutes. Believe me, your wait is worthwhile the final outcome is awesome … open the lid and slowly mix from the downside. Serve hot and Enjoy!!! please don’t forget to share your experience in the comment…
- If you are trying this recipe for the first time always try with chicken, not with meat or lamb.
- Follow the recipe as I mentioned and the outcome is just unbelievable.