Chana Palak Ki Daal
Have you ever tired of making the same daal recipe every day?? Want to try some new daal recipe, which is simple to make yet taste very yummy. In my home, we regularly eat daal with rice. Sometimes I tired of making the same recipe every day with little variations. Either I cook arhar dal or masoor daal. Today I thought of making something different with Chana Daal. I rarely use chana dal, but today I got a new idea of making this dal with palak. Yes, this turn out very tasty and everyone liked it. Here I used moong daal as well, to enhance its taste because of chana dal alone won’t give me the taste I wanted to get. Really it tasted like heaven… Combination of hot rice, ghee, and mango pickle yummmm… so, let’s start making Chana Palak ki Daal
Chana Dal/ Split Chickpeas – 2cups
Moong Dal/Split Yellow Lentils – 1/2 cup
Spinach/Palak – 2 cups finely chopped
Garlic – 5 cloves finely chopped
Onion – 1 medium roughly chopped
Tomatoes – 3 medium
Curry leaves – 1 strand
Green chillies -3
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Red chilli powder – 2tsp
Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 11/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 11/2 tsp
Salt – a/c taste
Coriander leaves – few for garnishing.
For Extra Tampering
Oil – 2tsp
Dry Red chilli-1
Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder -1tsp
- Wash and soak chana dal for 30 minutes.
- Pressure both chana dal and moon dal with 3cups of water for 1 whistle on high flame and then for 6 minutes on low flame.
- Grind tomatoes and green chillies into a fine paste. Set aside.
- Take a wok or kadhai, heat oil and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, chopped garlic, and curry leaves fry for 2 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and fry till translucent.
- Add grounded paste of tomatoes and green chillies.
- Fry till you see its releases oil on sides, and then add red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder mix well.
- Now add chopped spinach/Palak close the lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add one cup of water bring it to boil.
- Finally, add cooked daal roughly mashed with the back of the spatula.
- Adjust salt and add water as per your consistency.
- The last step is tamper with little oil,1tsp cumin seeds,1 dry red chilli, and 1tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder. Pour this on top of the dal, serve hot and ENJOY!!!
- Serves 4-5.
- Goes well with hot rice or Jeera rice or Ghee rice.