Generally, millets are small-grained, annual, warm-weather cereals belonging to the grass family. They are highly tolerant of drought and other extreme weather conditions and have a similar nutrient content to other major cereals.
However, nowadays there’s a trend to consume varieties of millets. People are becoming very health conscious now. While searching on youtube about a healthy diet, I came across some of the videos of Khader Vali, who promote these millets. Millets are tasteless when you cook them as you cook rice. They are 100% gluten-free. So, I decided to include millets in my daily food. The problem is with my kids, whenever I cook millets they skipped their meal. So, thought to take make some variations with these millets to make them tasty. I made this Millet soup with few ingredients and believe me it turned out as very tasty as normal veg soup. Now, I made up mind to make more varieties with these millets in the coming days…stay tuned and do subscribe to my blog…Let’s start making Millet soup
NOTE: You can choose any variety of millet and proceed with the recipe below. Here I used Little Millets. But soaking them for at least 6-8hrs is a very very important step. They won’t cook upto to the level if you miss soaking.
Little Millets or any other millet of your choice -2 cups
Onion – 1 big finely chopped
Green Peas – 1/4 cup
Carrots – 2(Medium) finely chopped
Green chillies – 2 finely chopped
Garlic -5 finely chopped
Ginger – 1′ finely chopped
Bay leaf – 1
Garam Masala powder – 2tsp
Black Pepper powder -1Tbsp
Salt- a/c taste
Water – as needed
- Wash millets and soak with 4 cups of water for at least 6hours or overnight is better.
- Pressure cook millets with 3 whistles and set aside.
- Take a big pot or vessel heat oil and add garlic, ginger, chopped green chillies, and bay leaf.
- Fry for 30 seconds and add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add chopped carrots fry for2 minutes.
- Add green peas and corn and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Now, add cooked millets and mix well with all the ingredients.
- Add water to dissolve the millets till you get the required consistency.
- Boil for 10 minutes and finally add salt, garam masala, and black pepper powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot and ENJOY!!!
- You can try this same recipe with all kinds of millets.
- Be sure you soak millets at least for 6hrs before cooking.