Okra is one of my all-time favorite. I like every recipe made with okra, and you can make a number of varieties with okra. I already shared two recipes in this blog do check Crispy bhindi and Achari bhindi. Today I thought to make okra gravy from my mom’s kitchen. Usually, my mom makes this curry with a combination of ragi mudde or sankati. It tastes superb. Let’s start making Okra curry.
Okra or Bhindi: 250grams
Onions- 3 medium
Tomatoes- 3 medium
Green chillies -2
Ginger Garlic paste – 2Tbsp
Tamarind – small gooseberry size
Red chilli powder -2tsp
Turmeric- 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1tsp
Desiccated coconut powder- 4 tsp
Garam masala – 1tsp
Coriander leaves – few for garnishing
salt- a/c taste
Water – as needed
- Wash and wipe the okra with a neat kitchen towel. cut into 1/2 inch each. Shallow fry them with 2tsp oil and set aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup water and extract the juice and set aside.
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes.
- Take a heavy bottom pan or kadhai heat oil and add chopped onions. Fry till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste fry till raw smell goes out.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt fry for 1 minute, close the lid and cook till tomatoes get mushy.
- Open the lid add turmeric, red chili, coriander, cumin powders fry till oil gets separated.
- Now, add fried okra and mix well, add desiccated coconut and tamarind juice.
- Adjust the consistency and salt cook for 5 minutes or till okra gets soft.
- Finally, add slit green chillies and garam masala.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, serve hot and ENJOY!!!
- Serves 4-5.
- Goes well with roti or plain rice.
- Tastes good well gets completely cool.