Pumpkin is a nutritious and very low in calories. Pumpkins are usually round and orange, although the size, shape and color can vary depending on the variety. They have a thick outer rind that’s smooth and ribbed, as well as a stem that connects the pumpkin to its leafy plant. Pumpkin comes in many varieties, although the most common varieties are the large ones used for carving and smaller, sweeter pie pumpkins. Whenever I see pumpkin in market I definitely buy to make curry or sweet dessert. Now, I am sharing a very simple curry which I cook usually whenever I buy pumpkin. Many of us don’t know how to cook them and thought only for some traditional use. So, let’s start making pumpkin curry..
Pumpkin – One medium
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Curry leaves- 2strands
Onions- 3 medium
Green Chillies- 4 slit
Ginger Garlic paste-2 tsp
Tamarind- gooseberry size soak and extract juice
Red chilli powder-2 tsp
Salt- a/c taste
Coriander leaves- few for garnishing
- Wash,Peel the pumpkin and cut into small cubes. Discard the seeds.
- Chop the onions and slit the green chillies set aside.
- Soak tamarind and extract its juice set aside.
- Heat oil in wok add cumin and mustard seeds, curry leaves crackle them and add onions and green chillies fry till onions become translucent.
- Add chopped pumpkin, salt, turmeric and ginger garlic paste. Mix well cover with lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Open lid check pumpkin is soft or else cook for another 2 minutes till pumpkin become soft.
- Add red chillipowder , jaggery mix well and then add tamarind juice.
- Mix well cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Open lid mix and finally garnish with coriander leaves and ENJOY!!!
- Goes well plain roti or paratha, rice and daal as a side dish.
- Try to buy Orange pumpkin to try this recipe.